The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (“ABCS”) is the only certifying board that evaluates and certifies doctors exclusively in cosmetic. In order to be board certified by the ABCS, a doctor must:
1. Satisfactorily complete specialty residency training and be board certified in one of the following surgical specialties: Dermatology, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology; Opthamology/Oculoplastic Surgery; Oral & Maxofacial Surgery (with MD degree); Otolaryngology; or Plastic Surgery:
2. Complete a one or two year fellowship program concentrated solely in cosmetic surgery ( the fellowship route), or alternatively, demonstrate vast experience in the field of cosmetic surgery through the performance as primary surgeon of 1,000 documented cosmetic surgical cases in the 6 year period preceding certification (the experience route):
3. Pass a stringent 2 day oral and written examination.
4. Be of good moral character
Board certification by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery represents objective and verifiable information regarding a doctor’s education, training, experience, and proven knowledge in cosmetic surgery. Board certified cosmetic surgeons (Diplomates of the ABCS) must at all times strive to represent the highest of ethical and moral standards. Diplomates agree to adhere to the ABCS and AMA guidelines regarding the ethical practice of cosmetic surgery, including advertising and representations to the public and to practice the highest standard of patient care and safety at all times.
American Board of Cosmetic Surgery Core Messages
1. It is critical that consumers understand the difference between “Cosmetic Surgeries” and “Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeries,” and the surgeons who perform them.
2. The best way for patients to have confidence and satisfaction in a Cosmetic Surgery procedure is to select the most qualified doctor, based on experience and training, who practices Cosmetic Surgery as a specialty.
3. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery® is the only organization that certifies physicians exclusively in the dynamic field of Cosmetic Surgery. The rigorous certification process requires the highest levels of knowledge and experience about time-tested and evolving techniques that provide safe, consistent and satisfying results.
4. To qualify for certification with the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery®, a surgeon must meet rigorous and comprehensive criteria for experience and knowledge. These criteria meet or exceed standards of all American Board of Medical Specialties boards. (Please see certification requirements at www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org.)
5. Cosmetic Surgeons certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery® are accomplished, highly-trained, and experienced surgeons you can trust.
6. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery® and its Diplomates, the board certified Cosmetic Surgeons, are dedicated to delivering the art and science of Cosmetic Surgery with the ultimate standards of safety, medical care, and aesthetic outcomes.
Call Now 858-350-8400
Dr. Sherman M.D. - US Navy
New Feature! Ask The Doctor
The Rhinoplasty Corner!
Google Plus One
Del Mar Cosmetic Medical Center - 12845 Pointe Del Mar Way, Suite 100 Del Mar, San Diego, California 858-350-8400